Sunday 16 August 2009

Quito Bonito




My South American adventure seemed to have stopped before it had even started, "I'm sorry sir, you cannot board this plane. The Immigration Authorities in Ecuador will fine us heavily if we allow you to do so."



It was midnight and I had just arrived in Madrid. My journey from London to Quito involved what I thought would be a simple stopover in Spain. It looked like I wasn't getting any further than the departure lounge, however.

"So what am I supposed to do, sleep in the airport and beg until I get enough to afford the next flight to Quito? I'm supposed to be working out there, teaching kids...I'm going to lose the job if I don't get there in the next few days!"

"I'm sorry sir, please stand back, we must let the other passengers board the plane."

I tried to stay calm, telling myself that the whole affair would sort itself out. I pleaded with the Supervisor for another twenty minutes, but before I knew it I was the only soul left in the departure lounge, staring dumbfounded at the runway as my flight across the Atlantic took off before my very eyes.

I had a one-way plane ticket to Quito, and although a visa is not necessary to enter Ecuador, proof must be shown that you are going to leave the country after 90 days. The Supervisor told me that without a ticket out of Ecuador there was no way I could be allowed into the country. I tried to convince her that I would buy a plane ticket out of Ecuador over the phone before encountering the Immigration Authorities. In my despair and in true South American style I think I even hinted at a tidy bribe. The staff of LAN airways was pretty convinced that I would be sleeping in Madrid that night, however.

It was midnight, I was alone and thousands of miles away from my destination. I started considering my options:

a.) Collapse in despair and drown myself in my own tears on the nicely polished airport floor. Very tempting.
b.) Invent some kind of flying machine. Slightly more challenging.
c.) Forget about Ecuador. It's far away anyway. Spain is cool, I could just stay in Madrid for the foreseeable future...maybe join a circus?
d.) Something else.

The first three options each had their own appeal but I decided to go for the fourth. Barajas airport is pretty large and at that time of night pretty empty. I spent an hour or so wandering around the terminals talking to anyone who wanted to listen to my story and asking for help. One lady, a member of the airport staff, had an idea.

"So your first plane from London to Madrid came in late?"

"Yeah, only by a few minutes though."

"Well, you can say that because of the delay you missed the connecting flight to Ecuador. The airline then has to put you up in a hotel until the next flight. They'll give you food, free phone calls and you won't have to pay for the next flight to Quito."

"Genuis! Life saver! You legend!"

Convincing the airline to give me these luxuries proved a little more difficult, however. I spent the next eternity going from one office to another. Each time I was told, "Sorry we can't help you with that. My colleague might be able to help you out." I patiently explained my situation again and again and eventually, a couple of hours later, found myself munching away on a courtesy sandwich in a four-star hotel.

I spent the next day in the airport, once again going from one office to another sorting myself out. I managed to get myself booked in for the next flight to Quito that evening, and then set about booking a ticket out of Ecuador in order to comply with immigration rules. I didn't want to pay for a flight all the way back to London so I got myself a ticket to Colombia, Ecuador's neighbour, with the hope that I would be able to reimburse it upon arrival in Ecuador. The only remaining problem was now my luggage - nobody seemed to know if it was somewhere in Madrid airport or rather on the other side of the Atlantic.

That evening I checked into my flight and was told that I would be upgraded to Business Class for all the trouble caused. Even though it was kind of my fault for not having the right ticket in the first place.

Thirteen hours later, I set eyes on Quito for the first time. Quito airport is right in the city, so as you're landing you get a great view of the place and the mountains and volcanoes that surround the city. It really was breathtaking. I even found my luggage after landing. Things were looking up, the journey was over and the adventure about to begin...

11 comments:

_VIOLA_ said...

joe.. without words.. That's sounds like a great adventure, something u'll be proud to tell to ur sons one day!!!!!!!! I've read "Quito bonito" and I really hope u're not gonna stop writing it. U could even write a novel about it. I'm glad u finally got there. My exam was ok! my next step?? DISSERTATION... very boring..

Carlos said...

Joe, this is exactly the conception of "TYPICAL JOE" :) Really, staying out of the flight because of that reason is something that only happens to you but, at the same time, nobody else would have been able to manage it with so much luck!! And the idea about buying a ticket to Colombia is so funny and great... I'm sure someday someone will make a movie with all your stories!! Please, keep up writing, take care, and good luck in your new adventures!!

Dominic Burbidge said...

Hey Joe,

Great blog - loved reading it. I can't believe you half-tried a blog and then argued it was the airline's fault for the late arrival, lol! Man, I'm gonna get you in a headlock for that when I next see you.

Dominic Burbidge said...

Ugh, bribe*, not blog...

Jonny Blackwell said...

Typical english!

Joe said...

Thanks for all the comments and support guys!

Anonymous said...

haha unlucky joe! when i first heard about this i was dumbfounded and quite angry at the airline, but the i heard that it was your fault in the first place. then i lol'd. hard. because it is so you. still, you seem to have survived the crisis fairly comfortably! are those your pics? they're quite nice! wish i were going out there, and maybe someday i will...keep it up!

Laura said...

amazing!!!! viola told me a bit about the troubles you had in getting to quito a couple of days ago...but reading the whole story told in your own words makes it even more exciting!!!!...although for you it must have been slightly different!!!!!!
glad you finally got there despite all the problems...plus travelling in business class!!!!!!!!!
i'm sure you'll make the best out of this experience...as you usually do ;)

i'll keep on checking your blog to get new updates! take care!
un abbraccio pajaro!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, Oh No! That was Halarious reading about your terrible misfortune in Madrid airport! Of course it was not funny at the time and I feel really bad for you but you are good at seeing a funny side to a desparate situation! Couldn't stop laughing at the options you were considering at the time!!
It sounds all really exciting... definitly got yourself in for lifetime experiences! looking forward to reading your next blog addition! God Bless and take care.

rox said...

Iwould have gone for the first option for sure...

Marie said...

so thats what happened!! sorry i've only just managed to read your first blog but I was very confused at how the airline paid for everything. Still I'm surprised, they must've realised that it was possible timewise for u to get on the Ecuador flight, but hey a bit of craftiness and customer service and really if I were u I'd be secretly chuffed lol.
xxx